Sunday, October 26, 2014

Salt Dough..What Can Be Done With Salt Dough?

This is the beginning of anything you want....
                                                    Quote found on inspiration.entrepreneur.com

And it is....I was excited to work with salt dough. I mean, it's like clay right? Who doesn't like to work with clay? I have always wanted to take the time to actually make Christmas ornaments with this stuff. You know, the cute little ornaments that my kids and I would make together and then paint together. Except....I just couldn't ever find the time to actually "do it," but rather would just buy the pre-made white clay ornaments that were just waiting to be painted. 

For this project, I originally thought "Ah, now I can finally make those ornaments that I've always wanted to try!" I had great intentions of doing just that when I signed up to have Salt Dough be my third visual arts piece. After completing my Aboriginal piece with my Tree of Life, I realized that 1. I just wasn't done with trees, and 2. I wanted to stretch myself and do something more original. I wanted to try and do something that I haven't done before, nor seen done (even though I'm sure it has been done by somebody somewhere).

My kids are grown and there isn't a chance that they would be able to sit and paint ornaments with me now anyway, right? Besides, it is still October and I am not in the mood for Christmas yet. So....I began to think of something I could do with the dough that was different. Since I had such a good time making the tree for my last piece, I started thinking about how I could incorporate trees into this project. 

I gathered the materials and made the dough. Easy enough, it is exactly what you see in the picture. Grabbed my canvas board and sat down to work. 



I wasn't sure exactly how to start, so I just started rolling out thin pieces of dough and placing them onto the canvas board. I had decided to make a tree of course. I figured I would try to make a 3-D picture, that was my overall idea. I anticipated having to glue the dough to the board after the tree had dried. I wasn't sure how everything was going to go together yet at this point, or even if it would. I made the tree and was surprised that it was actually quite easy, and after it dried, it stuck! (That was a little plus.) Being that it is October, I decided to paint the tree and background to make it spooky. It's Halloween, let's have some fun! I was playing around with different techniques and discovered that this was going to be the practice run because I had an entirely new and better idea!



I don't jump into anything and I thought about this for a couple of days. I somewhat had an idea of what I was going to try and do but had to think about it. As I was thinking, the idea once again started to grow even bigger. It was time to roll!

This time it was going to be a continuous scene I was going to sculpt on three different canvas boards. I learned from the scary tree trial run that I needed to paint my background first. This will make my life SOOOO much easier. I used a sponge brush and wet the canvases down. After that, I selected the colors for my background/sky and began to paint. The colors bled perfectly with the pre-wet canvas and I couldn't be more pleased. I was so happy with the way my sky/background was turning out, I wanted to paint everything!



Next I began to construct my scene. I wanted to make a pond scene with trees and cat tails. I had some issues with my dough and had to make another batch, which again created a completely different set of issues. Because I had the first batch stored, it became too wet to work with, I couldn't get the ratio right when I added flour, so... I scrapped it. The second batch was probably too dry. At least it was by the time I was done sculpting. It just didn't go as easily as the scary tree. I was really hoping I wouldn't pick my pictures up after it dried only to have it fall off in pieces. One thing at a time....

I used a butter knife as my carving tool. I don't own any tools....yet, so what was I to do but try to improvise? 



Anyway, I tried many different ways to sculpt the dough just how I wanted it. I was doing detailed work and nothing was working before the discovery of this little gem...butter knives aren't just for butter... I found it was easier to put some dough on the canvas and carve it around the way I wanted it to be with this magical little tool. It worked like a charm. 


I then took my work to class and touched up the background. I was becoming concerned because parts of my trees and cat tails were starting to "flake off." What to do, what to do... Well, I wanted to paint the dough first before anything else. Thought about black, but decided white would look best with my "stormy sky." So I painted all the dough, waited for it to dry, and then crossed my fingers that it would stay together. It was still a little "flakey....." Okay, it needs something to make it stick together... it needed some glue! Mod Podge is really glue right? 



TADA! It worked! I painted only the dough with the Mod Podge. I covered it thickly and made sure it was underneath as well to seal it to the canvas board. TADA TADA TADA! It stuck it stuck! So happy with this piece! I will be doing other scenes in the very near future. It was very relaxing, and I had so much fun watching it evolve. Who knew I could accomplish something like this?! 



No comments:

Post a Comment